Many Christian parents are committed to educating their children at home because of their conviction that this is God's will for their family. They are concerned for the spiritual training and character development as well as the social and academic welfare of their children.
Specific advantages have been expressed as follows:
- Parents can present all academic subjects from a biblical perspective and include spiritual training. The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding (Prov. 9:10 NAS).
- Homeschooling makes quality time available to train and influence children in all areas in an integrated way.
- Each child receives individual attention and has his unique needs met.
- Parents can control destructive influences such as various temptations, false teachings (including secular humanism and occult influences of the New Age movement), negative peer pressure, and unsafe environments.
- Children gain respect for their parents as teachers.
- The family experiences unity, closeness, and mutual enjoyment of one another as they spend more time working together.
- Children develop confidence and independent thinking away from the peer pressure to conform and in the security of their own home.
- Children have time to explore new interests and to think.
- Communication between different age groups is enhanced.
- Tutorial-style education helps each child achieve his full educational potential.
- Flexible scheduling can accommodate parents' work and vacation times and allow time for many activities.